WHAT IS SOFT TISSUE THERAPY (STT) AND WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT OPTIONS FOR?
Anyone and everybody can benefit from regular soft tissue treatments (of which massage is one option). Your body is made up of 70% soft tissue and every day activities can cause emotional and postural stresses that produce many similar characteristics to sporting injuries. Soft tissue therapy both maintains and develops your bodies by helping relieve the many day to day problems, tension, repetitive strain injury, sprains, stress and fatigue that everyone experiences.
Here at Unstoppable Rhythms TM we use a range of modalities to treat and support you. The range of treatments include :
- deep tissue & sports massage
- myofascial release
- craniosacral therapy
- pregnancy massage
- relaxation massages
- yoga, somatics, movement efficiency & sports focus
Soft Tissue Therapy (STT) is the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body i.e. muscles, connective tissue/fascia, tendons, ligaments and joints for the alleviation of discomfort associated with everyday and occupational stresses, muscular over-use and many chronic pain conditions. Not only is it useful for general body maintenance, if employed early enough after trauma and/or injury, STT can greatly improve the healing process and reduce the development of painful muscular patterning.
Sports Massage, by contrast, is the application of soft tissue therapy techniques tailored to treat the needs of athletes, and is designed to achieve specific goals, such as increasing performance by preparing the body before, enhancing recovery after or treating and preventing injury among other things. It is used in conjunction with training schedules and conditioning programs of many elite sports people and teams to enhance performance, aid in recovery and reduce the potential for injuries but you don’t have to be an elite sports person to benefit, regular treatments can enhance your enjoyment of your chosen sport and can be very cost effective when booked in blocks.
What a soft tissue therapy treatment could offer you …
Improves and stimulates circulation
- Helps muscular & general relaxation
- Eases stiffness in tired and damaged muscles
- Promotes faster recovery from activity or injury
- Improves (removes) scar tissue
- Greater flexibility and quality of range of motion helps movement efficiency
- Improves posture by restoring soft tissue balance
- Improves injury resistance to acute injuries(e.g. muscle tears) as well as chronic injuries stemming from wear and tear (tendonitis).
- Increased mental alertness, clarity and concentration
- Deactivates trigger points. (A trigger point is a nodule of tight muscle tissue that can refer pain locally or to other areas of the body.)
- Greater energy
- Greater endurance
- Provides prehab by identifying potential problem areas before they cause a problem
- More fluid + pain- free movement
Getting regular treatments is a great way to generate feedback for yourself about how you are doing, allowing the muscles and soft tissue to stay supple and healthy, lengthened and flexible, and free from adhesions, thereby reducing the potential for injury.